Sunday, January 24, 2010

Family History-Haworth

I have always found it fascinating to dig into the history of my family. Today I stumbled across this website and wow was I amazed. I had always known that the Haworth part of my family was big( and that's an under statement), but I had no ideal in reality just HOW big. My grandpa, God rest his soul, was Born Cecil Ray Haworth.

Grandpa always loved to tell stories of how the family came to be, but as such he could only remember so far back, and with my Great Grandfather having passed away before I was old enough to really ask question about our family it left me wondering, about where this part of my family had came from.


Here are a few of the pictures and stories that are on this website.


This picture was taken at the 200 year Haworth family reunion celebration, September 22, 1899, Plainfield IN. This priceless photograph was presented to Lowell Scarbrough by Virginia Schneider, of San Lorenzo, CA.
Virginia writes: "I obtained the picture from the Reverend Richard Haworth, of Bay Farms Island, which is located next to the City of Alameda, Alameda County, California, in about 1976. Rev. Richard was not well, but he and his wife were so happy to visit with me and help me with gathering family history, that they gave me one of the two copies of the picture they had. They also identified as many of the people that they knew. One of the persons in the picture was the grandfather (or great grandfather) of Rev. Richard, and from whom he inherited the copies of the picture."
Virginia wrote us again in April of 2005 and said she enjoyed looking at the picture again, on the web pages. She wrote that she wanted to let everyone know what she knows about the Haworths. We thank you, Virginia, for the priceless photograph.
(Note: In March of year 2003, we located the person who has the papers of William Perry Haworth. William Perry Haworth, who is seated at the front of this picture, is the person who organized the 200 year celebration. We hope to be able to catalog these important papers. Ron Haworth, editor)






Denise Gripp, Vice President of the Iowa Genealogical Society writes: The picture is labeled, "Haworth Reunion, Sept. 28, 1905", and looks to have been taken in the yard of the Ackworth Academy, Ackworth, IA. It was found in a Roger Boone scrapbook housed at the Warren County Historical Museum.
Editor's Note: This is the only document that we have, pertaining to this reunion. We were able to scan the tiny document at a very high resolution to recover some of the details. Denise was especially intrigued at the child in the foreground, and what may be a "sun parasol".


All photos and information came from www.haworthassociation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment